Fly... Because you can!
A special, inspirational pillow…personalizes your space!
The Fly Pillow from our look book is a very rewarding project because the SHIMMER fabric does the work for you!
Only four pieces in total, the Fly Pillow highlights three prints and utilizes the super luxe Artemis silk ribbon in hand made fringe and a luxurious minky for the back. Like the Dawn and Dusk Pillows from last Free Project Friday (FPF) post, this graphic pillow has a super boutiquey feel.
Intermediate Project. Mixing substrates requires some experience and instructions are basic. Need level of comfort when sewing and making pillows. Make in an afternoon.
• Three fat quarters of Shimmer AJSP14250-155 stone (snakeskin design- left side), AJSP 14249-183 pewter (brocade design-right side), 14253-90 pearl (sunburst-dove) and 11x15 wonder-under fusible for appliqué.
• 1/2 yd of Minky.
• 1 Treasure box of Artemis Silk You will have plenty left over for other dazzling projects.
• Pillow form 12 x 24. Zipper 18 inch. Creme and Olive thread.
• The Dove Wings Pattern.
1. Cut one 12 x 12 square of each Shimmer fabric. Stone snakeskin and pewter brocade. Sew right sides together and press open. Cut minky 12 x 23 1/2 and put aside. Cut two 12 x 1 strips for handmade fringe and put aside.
2. Download Dove Wings Pattern PDF and print dove. Final image measures 10 3/8 from wing tip to wing tip and 9 1/2 from top of wing to bottom of tail. Takes two 8 1/2 x 11 copy paper seamed at dotted line. Fuse wonder-under fusible web to sunburst fabric and cut out dove. Use electronic cutting machine if preferred. I used a Cameo Silhouette. (If you need directions on how to do fusible appliqué watch Missouri Star You Tube.)
3. Center dove on 12 x 23 1/2 panel and fuse in place. Machine topstitch in place. Add extra lines to mimic feathers.
Now front is done.
5. Sew in 18" zipper to bottom of pillow. You will be marrying the minky with the appliquéd front panel. See zipper tutorial if you need assistance.
Fringe Hand Made
6. Cut 70 strips at 12 1/2 inches- variety of colors.
7. Fold each silk strip in half and place 35 evenly as you go along a 1 x 12 strip of fabric. Baste loosely by hand. Repeat. Each inch should have about 2-3 silk folded strips. Turn and iron fabric strip over silk so your fringe is complete and ready to use.
8. Pin each strip at each end of pillow front facing into dove. Machine baste in place.
9. Carefully line up minky and front sides together. Careful that fringe is out of the seam allowance area. Pin tightly. Sew all three sides together leaving zipper open.
10. Reverse, insert feather pillow, zip up. Ta DAH!!!
Until Next Time,
SHIMMER - It's in our Nature.