Fly... Because you can!
Make it for yourself, your mom, sister or girlfriend…
A special, inspirational pillow…personalizes your space!
The Fly Pillow from our look book is a very rewarding project because the SHIMMER fabric does the work for you!
Only four pieces in total, the Fly Pillow highlights three prints and utilizes the super luxe Artemis silk ribbon in hand made fringe and a luxurious minky for the back. Like the Dawn and Dusk Pillows from last Free Project Friday (FPF) post, this graphic pillow has a super boutiquey feel.
Intermediate Project. Mixing substrates requires some experience and instructions are basic. Need level of comfort when sewing and making pillows. Make in an afternoon.
Materials List Finished pillow size 11 x 23 (all measurements are in inches, 1/4 seam allowances)
• Three fat quarters of Shimmer AJSP14250-155 stone (snakeskin design- left side), AJSP 14249-183 pewter (brocade design-right side), 14253-90 pearl (sunburst-dove) and 11x15 wonder-under fusible for appliqué.
• 1/2 yd of Minky.
• 1 Treasure box of Artemis Silk You will have plenty left over for other dazzling projects.
• Pillow form 12 x 24. Zipper 18 inch. Creme and Olive thread.
• The Dove Wings Pattern.
Directions / Cutting
1. Cut one 12 x 12 square of each Shimmer fabric. Stone snakeskin and pewter brocade. Sew right sides together and press open. Cut minky 12 x 23 1/2 and put aside. Cut two 12 x 1 strips for handmade fringe and put aside.
2. Download Dove Wings Pattern PDF and print dove. Final image measures 10 3/8 from wing tip to wing tip and 9 1/2 from top of wing to bottom of tail. Takes two 8 1/2 x 11 copy paper seamed at dotted line. Fuse wonder-under fusible web to sunburst fabric and cut out dove. Use electronic cutting machine if preferred. I used a Cameo Silhouette. (If you need directions on how to do fusible appliqué watch Missouri Star You Tube.)
3. Center dove on 12 x 23 1/2 panel and fuse in place. Machine topstitch in place. Add extra lines to mimic feathers.
4. Cut olive silk the letters F, L, Y. Pin in place or lightly fuse. Machine appliqué FLY to the bottom left (or right if you prefer) corner of the pillow. Remember to allow for seam allowance and curve of pillow. You may prefer to substitute 3/8" satin ribbon with the silk raw edge ribbon.
Now front is done.
5. Sew in 18" zipper to bottom of pillow. You will be marrying the minky with the appliquéd front panel. See zipper tutorial if you need assistance.
The image of this pillow came to me while driving in my car, listening to my sister's song, FLY and belting out the song. It's as if she's right next to me. Les is an incredible singer songwriter and has great pipes. One of my favorite songs is called FLY. It's about trust and having courage. She is someone I have looked up to my whole life and my FLY pillow is inspired by her. I am thinking about giving it to her but she'll have to read the blog to find that out. Until then, it's home is on my bed. After all, we are sisters!!
Until Next Time,
SHIMMER - It's in our Nature.
My work is original and I want to share it with you for personal use. Please contact me if you are interested in using for resale or commercial purposes. Thank you.
Stories from the Studio
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel