Simply Classic. 7X7
The Ten Square Quilt is super light weight, perfect for summer days. Using just one Shimmer Ten Square pack, FQs of solid Silk Radiance, a flannel sheet (for your batting- I had an old one) and backing, you're ready to go.
• One precut pack of Shimmer Ten Square. (42 squares in each)
• 4 Fat quarters of Radiance Silk: Taupe, Silver, Espresso, PDF White OR Kona Cotton: Ash, Iron, Espresso and Snow.
• If using silk, get 1 yard of lightweight stabilizer. I used Pellon865F Bi-Stretch Lite.
• Backing- Studio Stash AJS 13573 Hibiscus and Radiance Berry- 4 yds total. (Create your own design for back)
• Batting- Twin flat flannel sheet. I had one in my linen closet that we no longer needed. Makes the quilt super light!!!! Reminiscent of the Indian Kantha Quilts that are perfect for warm weather.
• Binding. Need 2/3 of a yard for binding. I used Radiance Berry.
*** SHIMMER has been wildly popular and many shops are backordered. Please know that it's being reprinted and place your order for next delivery. If you do find it now, grab it!!! Lucky YOU!!
1. Unwrap the pack of 42 10" squares and lay them out as you like. Decide at this point if you want to use them all or not. Add 7 silk (or Kona) solids. You need to have a total of 49 squares. 7X7.
2. Fuse Pellon to the fat quarter silks and cut two 10" squares out of each color. If you are using Kona, no need to use fusible. Fused silk is easier to work with cotton.
3. Sew seven squares together seven times. You will have created seven strips of seven. Sew the 7 strips together to complete your top. Pin at each seam to ensure the corners match up. Silk is slippery so be sure to pin well and practice first with a few scraps to make sure your tension on your machine is correct. Press seams open.
4. Create back and layer with top, flannel bat and quilt. (I enlisted a friend to do my quilting. She said it was a bit slippery so she decided to use her Bernina for a straight stitch vs her long arm.)
5. Cut 7 strips 2.5" and make binding using berry Silk Radiance. (If you need directions on how to do binding watch Missouri Star You Tube.)
Contact Elisabeth Woo if you are interested in finding it in a store near you or you want to have the Shimmer Trunk Show come to your local shop!
Until next time,
Go Create and Shimmer,